New rules – Flying through Canada with an eTA

Since the great rate exchange with the Canadian dollar and better connections, a lot of Italians are flying to Italy from Vancouver B.C. The prices are sometime even 50% lower than a similar flight from Seattle!

If you are one of these travelers, remember: starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa.

What does it mean?

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed. If you go to Vancouver airport by car nothing changes. However on your flight back you will need an eTA.

If you are an American citizen, you do not need an eTA to enter Canada. (You need to travel with a valid U.S. passport)

If you are a green card holder, you will need a eTA to fly to Canada.

if you are an Italian on a US visa, you will need a eTA to fly to Canada.

Applying for an eTA is easy. To apply you must have a valid passport, a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or a pre-paid Visa, MasterCard or American Express), and email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA. It will be valid for up to five years.

For more information please visit the Immigration page of government of Canada

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 10.19.52 AM


Posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , .